Professor (Colin) Raban has held positions with management responsibility for quality assurance and academic development at Sheffield Hallam University, Edge Hill, the University of Derby and the University of Greenwich (where he held the post of Deputy Vice Chancellor). On leaving the University of Derby he was awarded the title of Emeritus Professor for his ‘outstanding contribution to quality enhancement’.
Colin now works as a sole trader, although he has previously provided consultancy services through two limited companies – Academic Quality Management Ltd., and Academic Audit Associates – working with higher education providers within the UK and overseas, professional associations, regulators and quality assurance agencies. His recent assignments have included:
- A review of academic governance in a large post-92 university
- A review of a pre-92 university’s quality management arrangements
- Advice on the development of resilient academic partnerships
- Development of ‘risk-based’ approaches to quality management
- The development and piloting of a review method for higher apprenticeships
- Design of procedures and structures for the quality assurance of a professional organisation’s CPD provision
- Advice on degree awarding powers.
Having worked as a QAA auditor since 1997, Professor Raban has reviewed more than 25 institutions and participated in overseas audits in the Republic of Ireland and Malaysia. In 2016, he was commissioned by the Studijų Kokybės Vertinimo Centras (SKVC) to chair an institutional review in Lithuania, and (in 2018) by the Georgian National Centre for Educational Quality Enhancement (NCEQE) to lead reviews for the authorisation of two universities.
Colin’s recent publications and presentations have been in such areas as the regulation of higher education, ‘risk-based’ and ‘risk management’ approaches to quality assurance, quality and institutional cultures, and the development and management of academic partnerships.
Legal status Sole trader
VAT registered No
Phone (+44)7875 420 318