Research Consulting is a mission-driven business working to improve the effectiveness and impact of research and scholarly communication. We act as trusted advisors to clients involved in research in the UK, Europe and worldwide, our clients include:
- Universities & research organisations
- Government & research funders
- Publishing & scholarly communication
- Charities & learned societies
Our work is focused on undertaking analysis of performance, opportunities, issues, or gaps to produce clear, actionable, recommendations. Founded in 2013, Research Consulting comprises a small team of consultants and researchers, led by two Directors, Rob Johnson and Dan King.
Our work with universities is focused on our specialist knowledge and expertise in the higher education (HE) sector. Our most frequent HE clients include research and innovation offices, libraries and PVCs for research, enterprise and innovation.
With over a third of UK-based universities having been either involved in or direct clients of our work, as well as sector organisations and several international institutions, we have direct experience of research and KE management in universities. Our significant consultancy experience is based on the delivery of over 200 consultancy projects since 2013.
Research Consulting specialises in the following services for the HE sector:
- performance benchmarking and comparison;
- strategy / policy review and development;
- management reviews and structure of research and KE functions;
- knowledge exchange: funding, performance, and delivery;
- bids and major project support;
- training and staff development;
- reviews of operational support for research;
- survey or focus group informed analysis of stakeholder views (academic, researcher and external);
- open access; and
- research data management.
Our previous university clients have included the University of Oxford, University of Warwick, University of Nottingham, University of Bath, University of Birmingham, University of Bristol, Nottingham Trent University, De Montfort University, University of Essex, Northumbria University, University of Manchester, City, University of London, Aberystwyth University, and SOAS University London.
Other clients include UKRI, Jisc, Wellcome, ARMA, PraxisAuril, EARMA, Universities UK, Research Libraries UK, and the British Council.
Legal status Limited company
VAT registered Yes
Phone +44 (0)115 896 7567